Register Forum Rules Recent Forum Posts View Members Advanced Search
Poll Results: What version of the names do you want in the English patch?
Original Japanese (Romanized) 0 0%
FUNimation English Dub 13 68.42%
Kanzenshuu Version 6 31.58%
Other (Explain) 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll.

January 11th, 2013
#11
Exactly.

If this game were to be released for US/EU I would imagine the Japanese names wouldn't even be considered. They would stick to the names people know, for example; Son Goku, Vegeta etc.

I can just see it now, a 12 year old, who loves watching DBZ (the FUNimation dub) gets to the stage where they have to do TLQ3 expecting to see Goku's name and sees some Japanese rubbish instead.

Ludicrous.

Since Goku and Vegeta have the same name in the Japanese version and the English version (though I don't remember "Son" being brought up - except MAYBE in a few Dragon Ball episodes), a better example would be Krillin. They'd see "Kuririn" and not even begin to understand how to pronounce it, much less know what it is.
January 11th, 2013
#12
I grew up with the Funi names, and would like for it to stay that way in my opinion.
January 11th, 2013
#13
It would be English names, just not FUNi names.


Sorry, care to elaborate how exactly did you manage to interpret "that logic" in such a hilariously... interesting way. The discussion is about the English translations, right?

For this exact reason as Keredvin said:

If this game were to be released for US/EU I would imagine the Japanese names wouldn't even be considered. They would stick to the names people know, for example; Son Goku, Vegeta etc.

I would imagine we would try to stick as close as possible if an english version was to be released. Answer me this - do the english DBZ games that are localized use garbage names such as Kuririn instread of Krillin? No, they do not. I don't even see the reason for such a poll to exist. If you want, you can go spend your time after the patch is released with the english names and go rename all of the names to the Kanzenpoo version and release that version of the patch yourself.
January 11th, 2013
#14
Answer me this - do the english DBZ games that are localized use garbage names such as Kuririn instread of Krillin? No, they do not

The fact that you consider "Kuririn" (which Akira Toriyama actually wrote down himself in the manga, in English) a garbage name shows just how little you know and how pointless it is to discuss this with you.
January 11th, 2013
#15
I don't even know how to vote here. Both 'Kanzenshuu' names and 'Japanese' names are equally correct. Except maybe your 'Japanese' listing is too direct, even putting in honorifics for Kaio? (By the way, I don't think anyone's ever used anything other then -Sama to address him, could be wrong, but I don't think so) Also, what the heck are Kanzenshuu names? That isn't even a thing, unless you've worked something out with VegettoEX, which I don't think you have. At any rate, it all depends if you want to actually translate stuff, or just dump names in.
January 11th, 2013
#16
The fact that you consider "Kuririn" (which Akira Toriyama actually wrote down himself in the manga, in English) a garbage name shows just how little you know and how pointless it is to discuss this with you.

Sorry buddy but the poll says otherwise.
January 11th, 2013
#17
Nobody's voting for "Original Japanese" because most people probably don't even read the very post and just think that this option means that the terms would actually be written in Japanese language, rather than simply translated from Japanese correctly, unlike FUNi's.
Not many are voting for Kanzenshuu version because not many know it.

The poll could've been done better, but considering that it's made by someone who actually is on the FUNi side, it's not surprising.

Last edited on January 11th, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
January 11th, 2013
#18
i want actually original names so i will just do the kr patch kekeke i also cant read chines aniway :)
January 11th, 2013
#19
I say stick to the Funi translations, its the version most of us watched and have grown to love, and the poll obviously shows that. If someone else would like to make another translation patch, for whatever version it is that they want to, I see no reason they can't do it by themselves, as the majority rules. =P

The fact that you consider "Kuririn" (which Akira Toriyama actually wrote down himself in the manga, in English) a garbage name shows just how little you know and how pointless it is to discuss this with you.

I'd say this patch will be most beneficial to the members that have been playing this game for over a year, as most likely they are the ones that are going to be sticking around and continuing to play DBO, since the inflow of new players is very low. Therefore, I would say the people you should be discussing this with, are people like Tempest, since he has been around for a long time.

Last edited on January 11th, 2013 at 05:03 AM.
January 11th, 2013
#20
the mayority of this forum didnt even watch english dub lol